Friday, February 19, 2016

Travel Like a "Healthy" Rock Star Series

A few years ago, I was on a plane and found myself lacking in something to read.  I rarely pick up the airline magazine but this time I did.  There was an article on Sting and how he stays so healthy despite the rock star lifestyle.  While I don't remember enough to quote it, I remember that his approach was to prepare for a tour much like an athlete prepares for a game or competition.  What is the healthiest way to travel?  There are lots of tips and tricks.  Sitting on that plane considering the cross section of my roles as a mom, Army spouse, and business woman, that lesson from Sting resonated with me:   it all starts with prep.  Just like any professional athlete will tell you, the execution of their craft is only one ingredient - it is also how they fuel and prepare their body that really prepares them for excellence.  Alas, my husband and I are not rock stars like Sting . I don't travel the world selling out stadiums and inspiring millions with my enchanting voice.  But I do travel.  And travel is hard on your body.  Anyone who has gotten on a plane in the past 10 years knows that.  From eating out, to changes in time zones, disruption in physical activity, etc - travel takes a toll.   How do real parents prepare to "travel like rock stars".  Check out this series to find out!
Part 1:  Nourish Your Body
This morning was like many mornings in my house:  Alarm at 5am.  My husband was up first.  Showered, plodding through the house (he is an unusually loud walker), packing, looking for last minute stuff so I really didn't go back to sleep.  Before leaving, he came into our room (all dressed in full uniform) to give me a quick kiss before leaving.  I whispered softly, "could you remember to take the boys' gloves out of your car".  There is always something racing through my mind to remember, check off, or do before either of us leaves.  Mitch was leaving for the weekend for Reserve Training. When he returns, I get on a plane 12 hours later for my business trip.

My husband and I have both traveled since before I was pregnant with my first son.  I honestly don't know any different.  I became pregnant with my first son while I was managing several large accounts that required frequent travels to the east and west coast.  At the same time, my husband was still active duty Army.  I  travel for 3-7 days at a time, my husband for 3 days to 12 months.  The early years were definitely a circus and I will share that at some point.  What I reflected on this week as we both prepared for our trips was how we have evolved our routine where it matters and maintained what works.    As such, we both have unconsciously settled into what is our unofficial pre-travel prep.

Part of our ritual is that we focus on ENJOYING healthy, home-cooked meals.  In the early years, I would get anxious and nervous in the days leading up to a trip.  I was more focused on what I needed to do to prepare the family, shop for groceries, pack, prepare for my meetings, etc.    So we ate out, got take out, and ate in a hurry so we could get back to the packing list...completely missing the opportunity to enjoy and bond over a nutritious meal made as a family.  Over the past 2 years, my husband frequently travels to a military base where there is literally not a fresh, green vegetable sold within a 25 mile radius.  Ok I am probably exaggerating...but it is REALLY hard for him to find something with a polyphenol in it beyond a cheap glass of wine. The reality is even if you eat out at the best restaurants while on the road - you cannot be assured the ingredients are organic and fresh.  You don't have the same degree of choice as if you cooked it yourself.  You don't always have access to fresh veggies to pack or bring to work. So we have learned to revel in cooking and sitting down as a family over a healthy meal cooked with love.  We actually do this all the time, but I think we appreciate these times more in the days leading up to travel. We both focus more on eating fresh vegetables, whole grains.   Bottom line - we ensure our bodies are well nourished before we leave.  More important is the primary food nourishment we get from this step in our unofficial pre travel ritual:  Being present with our family.  We are consciously grateful for the nourishment and the time together knowing it will be some time before we have the opportunity again.


No comments:

Post a Comment